Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Remembering Christmas by Dan Walsh

Life as you know it can change in a blink of an eye. At least that is what happened to Rick Denton when he received a phone call from his mother saying that his step-father was in the hospital. Rick is a hard working man who does things on his terms. The thing is, Rick resents his step-father. However, he does love his mother so he agrees to help her out with their “book nook”.  Andrea volunteers to show Rick the ropes of the book store.  Rick was not prepared to find out that his step father’s financial situation was not what it should have been. He was also not prepared to deal with the homeless man that came to the store day in and day out. Nor was he prepared to have feelings for Andrea and her daughter Amy.  Will this holiday season change something inside of Rick?

This story is truly amazing! I couldn’t seem to put it down. At first, I was not fond of Rick at all. I thought he was uptight and arrogant. I will admit that my feelings changed as I turned the pages.  I was inspired by the change that occurred to him. However, once he turned to the man up above; miracles happened for Rick. The ending of this story was a tear jerker. I couldn’t stop the tears from coming if I tried. The transformation in him was a blessing in disguise, not only for him, but for his mother and step-father.  The holiday season has become so over-rated. What I mean by that is people forget the true meaning of Christmas. Christmas is not about what you do or don’t get for Christmas. Nor is it about who received the most presents. Christmas is a time to spend with the people that you love and care about. A time to be thankful for what you do have, not frown upon what you don’t. This book opened my eyes up to the meaning of family. Despite the fact that Rick could care less for his step-father, he still was there for his mom in her time of need. Rick’s feelings changing, well that was a true miracle!

I rate this book 5/5

No comments: