Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Naomi's Gift by Amy Clipston

This journey begins with Caleb and his daughter Susie taking a trip home for Christmas. You see, Caleb lost his wife and unborn child in a freak accident 2 years prior. Caleb blames himself for the death of his wife. He feels as that he will not have another chance at love. That is until, his daughter runs into a woman at a flea market. Susie immediately takes to this woman. Caleb’s sister however, has other plans for his brother. She tells Caleb to stay away from a woman named Naomi King explaining that she is very eager to find herself a husband. She herself has been burned by love in the past and fears she is meant to take care of her siblings. Sadie tries playing match maker with a woman named Irene.  However, when Caleb finds out his mystery woman is in fact Naomi; he decides to get to know her. What will happen for Caleb and Naomi? Will they both get another chance at love this holiday season?


I am very thankful that I had the opportunity to review this book through Zondervan. I love the holiday season and what better way to celebrate this season but read some holiday books?! This one in particular drew me in. I felt like I could relate to Naomi King. I wasn’t too fond of Sadie; however I can see that she was only trying to protect her brother from getting hurt again. I completely fell in love with Susie! I loved the way she took to Naomi from the get go. You know what they say; kids have good intuition with regards to adults. Naomi’s gift, in fact turned out to be her love for Caleb and his daughter. I would even go as far to say that Naomi’s gift was being loved in return. The man upstairs is the only one who can tell us how many chances we get at love, how many chances we get in life period. Mistakes are going to be made, we are only human.  While this book portrays more of the “love and first sight” theme, I think it goes even deeper than that. It shows that we can overcome tragedy. Caleb realized that he could in fact, still love his wife and move on with his life. Moving on doesn’t have to mean forgetting the times he had with her. In his case, it means forgiving himself and letting go of the past.


I rate this book 5/5

No comments: