Friday, February 3, 2012

Band of Sisters: American Women at War in Iraq by Kristen Holmstedt

According to Goodreads:

 In Iraq, the front line is everywhere...and everywhere in Iraq, women in the U.S. military fight. More than 155,000 of them have served in Iraq since 2003--four times the number of women sent to Desert Storm in 1991--and more than 430 have been wounded and over 60 killed, almost twice the number of U.S. military women killed in action in Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm combined. Band of Sisters presents twelve amazing and often heart-wrenching stories of American women in the frontlines including America's first female pilot to be shot down and survive, the U.S. military's first black female combat pilot, a 21-year-old turret gunner defending a convoy, two military policewomen in a firefight, a nurse struggling to save lives, including her own and more...

I thought that I would read this book because of my affiliation with the military. I am an Army Wife. I have heard of the struggles that women have had, and still have being in the military. Many still believe that the military is not a place for a woman. 

I will say that the book, The Band of Sisters: American Women at War in Iraq was alright. I was hoping for more in-depth details about there experiences in Iraq. This book covered a handful of women's encounters as they experienced it. The writing style wasn't my cup of tea and the author seemed to only gather the basic information to write the book. I felt that more emotion and detail could have been put into writing this book.


I rate this book 3/5

No comments: