Monday, February 6, 2012

Home Front by Kristin Hannah

**Regardless if you are a military family or not, this book will bring both joy and tears. The Home Front makes you re-think about what really matters in life; life, love, and happiness. Be prepared to ride an emotional roller coaster**

According to Goodreads:



In her bestselling novels Kristin Hannah has plumbed the depths of friendship, the loyalty of sisters, and the secrets mothers keep. Now, in her most emotionally powerful story yet, she explores the intimate landscape of a troubled marriage with this provocative and timely portrait of a husband and wife, in love and at war.

All marriages have a breaking point. All families have wounds. All wars have a cost. . . .

Like many couples, Michael and Jolene Zarkades have to face the pressures of everyday life---children, careers, bills, chores---even as their twelve-year marriage is falling apart. Then an unexpected deployment sends Jolene deep into harm’s way and leaves defense attorney Michael at home, unaccustomed to being a single parent to their two girls. As a mother, it agonizes Jolene to leave her family, but as a solider she has always understood the true meaning of duty. In her letters home, she paints a rose-colored version of her life on the front lines, shielding her family from the truth. But war will change Jolene in ways that none of them could have foreseen. When tragedy strikes, Michael must face his darkest fear and fight a battle of his own---for everything that matters to his family.

At once a profoundly honest look at modern marriage and a dramatic exploration of the toll war takes on an ordinary American family, Home Front is a story of love, loss, heroism, honor, and ultimately, hope. 

I normally try and summarize a book myself. However, I think Kristin Hannah summed it up quite well. I had my reservations about reading this book. I heard there was bad language being used. There is. However, I feel that it wasn't used out of context. In fact, if I was in the situation; it probably would have been a lot worse!

I am a military wife. I know what it is like to watch your spouse leave and go to war. I also know what it is like to be on the home front. I know I worried all the time when my husband was gone. They always tell us spouses that no news is good news. Really? For who? I must say I can relate to Michael a lot in this story. I may not have always agreed with they way he treated Jolene in the beginning but it took his wife being away at war for him to realize what he had. It happens to all of us.

My husband always says that the people you meet in the military are like family. You are with them just as much as you are with your family, sometimes more. With that being said, I can understand the bond between Jolene and Tami, a bond like only sisters have. I am so glad that they had each other when they needed each other the most.

The Home Front really hit home for me. I laughed and cried even more as the story progressed. I can totally relate to the fear that one experiences and the ups and downs that come with being associated with the military. My husband loves what he does. He is proud to be a soldier and I am so proud of him for his sacrifices. We must never forget that our soldiers wouldn't be able to do the job that they do if it wasn't for the people back on the home front and the people on the home front wouldn't be able to be strong if it wasn't for the man/woman that they stand behind.

I rate this book 5/5!!

No comments: